Regional Directorate of Environmental Protection in Lublin, thanks to funding from Financial Instrument of European Commission LIFE+ implements the project entitled “In harmony with nature – LIFE+ for Janowskie Forests”. Project will be implemented from 01.01.2015 to 31.12.2019 in the voivodeships of Lublelskie and Podkarpackie.
The main objective of the project is to provide a comprehensive protection swamps and peat bogs with their valuable flora and fauna in the area of habitats being under special protection of Natura 2000 Uroczyska of Janowskie Forests PLH060031 and at special bird protection area Janowskie Forests PLB060005. Actions taken in the project are also designed to preserve the habitats of endangered species of animals and plants included: pasque flower, fire-bellied toad or great crested newt. In addition, will be acquired natural information about other valuable species occurring in the area, during the project.
One of the many goals of the project is to raise awareness of the biodiversity protection of Natura 2000 areas. A strong emphasis will be placed on gaining local community support for the idea of nature protect and increase positive attitude towards the Natura 2000 program.
The Project carried out the following tasks:
- Creation of a database of nature reserves areas: Janowskie Forests, Szklarnia, Imielty Ług, Kacze Błota,
- Redemption of environmentally valuable lands which conflicts with European beaver,
- Removal of trees, shrubs and their saplings from the following habitats: 7110 Raised bogs with peat forming vegetation, 7140 Transitional Mires and bogs (mostly with plants from Scheuchzerio-Caricetea) and 7150 Depressions on peat substrates with vegetation from Rhynchosporion,
- Active protection of pasque flower positions(Pulsatilla patens),
- Construction of the valves on ditches which drain water from humid and swampy habitats,
- Renovation of dikes and monk reconstruction on the Imielty Ług pond,
- Implementation of protective measures in nature reserves in following habitats: 91P0 Upland mixed fir forest (Abietetum polonicum), 9170 Oak-hornbeam forest (Tilio-Carpinetum),
- Restore great crested newt breeding places (Triturus cristatus),
- Monitoring of capercaillie,
- Evaluation of the social acceptance for Natura 2000 areas at the beginning and end of the project,
- Direct communication through the organization of meetings with residents, tourism animators, educational activities in school and participation in local events and study visits,
- Emission of press releases in national, regional and local press,
- Distribution of promotional materials and organization of competition.
The project is co-financed by the means of Financial Instrument of European Commission LIFE+ and National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management.